Working as a prostitute
Did you come to the Netherlands to live recently, or are you new to prostitution? If so, the information below will help you.
The following rules apply to window prostitutes in the Zandpad zone and in Hardebollenstraat:
- In Utrecht, landlords apply a minimum age of 21 for window prostitutes.
- You must register with the Chamber of Commerce, tel. 030 - 239 66 00. Ensure you take proof of identification with you.
- You must register with the municipal medical health service (GG & GD) before you can rent a room.
- Your registration is valid for 2 years. Your privacy will be protected.
- There is a minimum four-week rental period for rooms. If you are ill or absent for some reason, another registered window prostitute may use your room, although you must obtain permission first from your landlord.
- Your working day in the Zandpad zone must not be longer than 12 hours.
Do you have any questions about these rules?
Send an e-mail to the Public Order and Safety Department, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration at GG & GD
Landlords may only rent windows to prostitutes who are registered with GG & GD. Call 030 - 286 32 52 to arrange a registration interview with an employee at GG & GD.
- Please bring evidence of registration with the Chamber of Commerce to the interview.
- GG & GD will register your name, address, date of birth and the country where you were born. Your details will be recorded in a secure register.
- If you leave Utrecht, one telephone call is enough to de-register (030 286 32 52).
- You cannot register if you are younger than 18, or if you are not allowed by law to work in the Netherlands.
- During the interview you will be provided with information about the health care and support services available to you.
Chamber of Commerce
As a self-employed prostitute you must register with the Chamber of Commerce.
- You can choose which Chamber of Commerce to register with.
- To register, you must give your official home address, even if it is not in the Netherlands.
- If you cannot give a home address, you may register using your accountant's address. If you have his/her written consent, you may then use this address as your business address.
Call 030 - 239 66 00 (choose option 3 if you have questions about starting up a business). www.kvk.nl/nieuwe_inschrijvers
Everyone who works in the Netherlands has to pay tax. The tax authorities (Belastingdienst) will give you a VAT number and record your details in their database. You will need your VAT number when filing your income tax/VAT (turnover tax) return. The tax authorities have a duty of confidentiality regarding everything that you tell them and submit to them in writing.
Tel. 0800 - 0543
Working in the streetwalkers' zone
Do you work in the streetwalkers' zone on Europalaan?
If so, the following rules apply to you:
- You must have a licence, which is valid for 1 year. Application forms are available in The Bus. Alternatively, you can call GG & GD on 030 - 286 32 62 for an application form.
- You are allowed to work in the streetwalkers' zone between 19.00 hrs and 02.00 hrs.
ContactgegevensIf you have questions or need advice about the information on this website, you can contact the employees of the GG&GD.
030 - 286 32 52